Wednesday, February 20, 2008

An Unexpected Vacation


Hello and good evening from BEF!

Growing up in northern Indiana, I always hoped and prayed each winter evening that Mother Nature would send just the perfect amount of snowfall overnight to provide for a day off from school. Of course, this was way before dopplar radar and computer weather models that take the joy out of winter surprise snowstorms. Now, living in East Tennessee, snow is a rare event, at least here in the valley, so we don't hold out much hope for days off. Now that I am a teacher, I can only imagine my childhood teachers having the same eager anticipation for a great blizzard as I did.

This afternoon, I happened to check our school system website and discovered that we will be off for the next two days. The problem is that the cause is not a blizzard, but the flu. Kids and teachers have been affected by one of the worst flu outbreaks in our area for some time. The "experts" have gotten on the TV trying to explain the fact that they completely missed what flu strain to vaccinate against this year. I feel a little selfish, but I am excited for a short vacation, even if doesn't include a great snowstorm. I might just be wild and crazy and stay up past 10:00 tonight and watch Project Runway instead of taping it!

Wishing you good health and much peace,

Joshua

P.S. One of the best things about getting to stay home for the next days is getting to spoil Alabama Grace for two straight days! Who could resist that great face above?

No comments: